March 20, 2019
It’s a day for youth to stand out, speak up, and seize control in the fight against tobacco. How? By raising awareness about tobacco, how it harms our health, and how Big Tobacco targets kids. For more information on Kick Butts Day, visit www.kickbuttsday.org.
Teen Smoking Facts
– Every day in the United States alone, approximately 3,000 kids under the age of 18 start smoking.
– Of those 3,000 teens who start smoking today, nearly 1,000 will eventually die as a result of smoking.
– It is estimated that approximately 4.5 million adolescents in the United States are smokers.
– People who smoke a pack a day die on average 7 years earlier than people who have never smoked.
– Smoking is the single most preventable cause of death in the United States.
– Smoking hurts the people around you: more than 53,000 people die each year from secondhand smoke.
– Most teens (about 70%) don’t smoke. Plus, if you make it through your teen years without becoming a smoker, chances are you never will.
Ready to Quit Smoking?
Connecticut Quitline is a smoking cessation telephone service that provides information and counseling about tobacco use.Callers can phone (866) 363-4224 (866-END-HABIT) Monday-Sunday: 8am-3am